Monday, November 9, 2009

WIP - 16x20 Centaur 'Braiding' Painting 3

My next step is to paint a monochromatic underpainting to work out the values and lighting for this painting.  This is not a step I normally bother with in my smaller work, but, this large, complex composition is purely fictitious with no reference outside of my imagination to rely on, so, I need the value study to help me work out these details. 




This is painted in using just white and burnt sienna. 


I added a little ultramarine blue and burnt umber to create some deeper dark values here for the back room and for detailing on the centaurs. 


I am not finished with the value painting, yet...just had to quit for the day.  I am not so much interested in creating every little detail in the monochromatic study, but, I do want to fully establish the lighting/shadows at this point and make sure it works well in the composition before I start adding color. 


No comments:

Post a Comment