Thursday, December 3, 2009

WIP - 16x20 Centaur 'Braiding' - Part 6

I have spent a few days working on this and it finally has enough to show some progress.  I spent most of this painting time working those columns, over and over again...why, oh why did I subject myself to not just a single pillar, but, to TWO matching pillars!  Painting precise geometric shapes in oils, freehand, without masking is about as difficult as it gets, as far as I'm concerned.  It is just so hard to get it right!  Well, these pillars have come a long way, but, they still need a lot more work just to get the base shape and values right.  After I am happy enough with that, I'll decorate them!  Same goes for the archway and walls.  I am starting to block in the colors now and some of the details.  I won't get into the figures  too much more until Iget the background closer to being finished. 

Sorry for the wet paint glare.

I promise I really will give that poor child and her cat faces! 


  1. Dear Kerry, The painting is progressing very nicely. You made the ladies coats spotted!Surprise! You DO such nice horse bodies & coat patterns. The round columns are looking better & better! Your imagination & thoroughness in putting a painting together is fasinating! I admire your artistic skills & hope we can do more comissions in the future! Sincerely, Don Kephart

  2. LOL! Yes, you know I like those spotted hides! Glad you are enjoying the process! This one truly is a make-it-up-as-it-goes painting, so, expect things to change shape, color, position, appear, disappear, re-appear...ha! I've already moved or eliminated 3 legs, a pile of cloths, changed the shape of the chais, moved shadows and more.